Saturday, October 31, 2009

Fun with Indian Food and Spices


As promised, I wanted to share my fun with Indian Spices. If you ever have a chance to buy bulk spices, beware! I'm not sure if it's because the Glad containers are liquid measure or what, but when the package of spice says 14 oz, it fills a 24 oz container. I'm not complaining at all.



I had to come up with some type of label. I came up with this as my sharpie didn't seem to want to write on this.

Tada! I'm so happy with this!

My mother-in-law gave me kheer mixes. This turned out so well.

This is my pepper chutney. The chutney at the grocery store is blended, but I like the contrast with the larger pieces in mine.

This was my first time at a traditional Curry Chicken. With real coconut milk! It was so good I should have doubled my recipe.

This is red dahl, my favorite by far!

This spice mix for Rajah beans is meant for kidney beans, but it tasted great with Chick Peas!


Ok, Indian Okra is wierd. It was like the okra was too old. The seasoning was great, but we couldn't chew it.

This naan was perfect.

The secret to great naan, a very very hot stove heated from the top and a pizza stone. The hotter the stove the the better the naan.

2 comments:

  1. Everything looks beautiful. I'l glad you found something you really enjoy preparing for your family. I love coconut milk, but not so much the curry. A little goes a really long way for me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummo. I'm ready to visit Maharaja again.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete