Sunday, December 4, 2011

Easy Homemade Wonder Clay!

I saw this idea somewhere (most likely Pinterest) and I just had to try it. It was a three day process (which I wasn't expecting) so hopefully, you'll be more prepared than I was for the time it takes to make these. I will say that the clay is sparkly white and beautiful when it dries. It takes paint well and when I have the time to cover the pieces with Modge Podge, they will be shiny and beautiful magnets.



 
I'm sure most of you that read this will want to make different ones, but these are for Hanukkah and I had these just for this reason.
First step: Buy the stuff: Get a large bowl, towel, cornstarch, baking soda, water. I did not use food coloring. I saw one recipe call it "Home made porcelain" and it really could be called that, as white and pretty as it is. 
Then you mix the cornstarch and baking soda and water together. Stir it until there are no lumps. Here's the weird part: Microwave from 4-6 minutes. It was more like 6 minutes for me. It will be more solid, but there will be some liquid in the bowl. IT WILL BE VERY HOT!

Get a towel, and wet it lightly. Cover the bowl and let it cool. This took a while, but I'm not sure how long because we went to my sister's house while it cooled. I'm pretty sure it will take the better part of an hour. I then used gloves and kneaded portions and added corn starch to make into pliable dough.

You can see that Zee is like his Eema, because he didn't like the feeling of the baking soda on his hands. Tzipi wasn't bothered at all.

 
Here are the cut out pieces. I preferred the way they looked when I used my hand to flatten the dough, the rolling pin was just too hard to use.

Here are our painted ornaments. We had a lot of fun. The dough was dried overnight. You can put it in an air tight container to keep it from drying out and have clay to play with. It was well worth the effort and I encourage you to try. I really needed some magnets for our fridge. Now I just have to glue the magnets on and we'll be set! 
Please email me if you liked this post! Or if you have my number, give me a text! 
Thanks for stopping by! 
Happy Crafting!

1 comment:

  1. Fun. I will have to try it with any or all of the kids sometime. I might have to sedate Kevin though as it looks like a messy project.

    ReplyDelete